X takes down ISIS videos showing Moscow concert hall killings after being notified by IMDA

2 weeks ago 44

Updated

Apr 03, 2024, 12:35 PM

Published

Apr 03, 2024, 12:35 PM

SINGAPORE - Social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, has removed videos showing ISIS-Khorasan’s March 22 massacre in a concert hall near Moscow after being notified by the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA).

Several accounts on the platform had shared footage from the Amaq News Agency - ISIS’ official news channel - with both a censored and uncensored version being circulated as at March 26.

In the 1-minute 31-second video, the attackers’ faces were blurred out and their voices distorted. The only difference between the two versions was that one of the victims’ faces had been blurred while his throat was slashed repeatedly with a knife.

More than 140 people were killed during the attack on the Crocus City Hall concert venue, which was later set ablaze. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack, which it said was carried out by four of its fighters.

IMDA said it told X about the video, which is considered “harmful content” under the Republic’s online safety code of practice.

“X removed the content promptly upon notification,” said the authority, adding that social media platforms with significant reach or impact in Singapore are required to comply with the code.

Read Entire Article