WHO gives emergency presser as suspected rat virus kills three aboard ‘plague ship’

1 week ago 78

WHO Coordinates Response to Suspected Outbreak

United Nations Information Service Director Maria Van Kerkhove said in Geneva on Tuesday that the World Health Organisation was coordinating an international response after a suspected hantavirus outbreak on a cruise ship left three people dead.

Screengrab of video

“WHO is working closely with authorities in Cabo Verde, the Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the ship’s operators to coordinate actions to ensure the safety and health of all people on board, while also limiting further spread,” Maria Van Kerkhove said.“The plan is, and our highest priority is, to medically evacuate the two individuals to make sure that they receive the care that they need,” she added.

Cases Confirmed and Evacuations Planned

WHO said seven confirmed or suspected cases had been identified on the Dutch-flagged MV Hondius, including three deaths. One person was critically ill, while three others had mild symptoms.The evacuation plan was updated on Tuesday, with the remaining sick crew memb...

Read Entire Article