Parts of Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve to be temporarily closed after man and 2-year-old daughter fell into hole in bridge

1 week ago 29

SINGAPORE: Parts of Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve will be temporarily closed following an incident in which a man and his two-year-old daughter fell into a hole in a bridge during heavy rain.

Responding to CNA queries, the National Parks Board (NParks) said on Wednesday (Jan 25) it was aware of the incident that affected a family on Monday.

“The area was cordoned off following the incident, and the gap has been closed off after the water receded,” said NParks group director of conservation Lim Liang Jim.

“We are currently monitoring the water levels in the reserve closely and will undertake temporary closure to sections that may be subject to intermittent flooding.”


The incident was detailed in an Instagram post by Bucky Hussain, who described what had happened to him and his family on Monday, the second day of the Chinese New Year holidays.

It was between 11am and 12pm that Mr Hussain's family - comprising himself, his wife and two children - were rushing to leave the nature park because of torrential rain. 

While crossing a bridge that was covered in "a good 3 to 5cm of water", Mr Hussain said he and his two-year-old daughter, Ashley, fell "into a huge hole", and into water that had turned "dark and muddy".

Immediately wrapping his arms around his daughter to "stop her from floating away", Mr Hussain said he "couldn't feel the bottom" and that if he had let go, the two of them were "going to be sucked under the bridge".

Both he and his daughter managed to get back onto the bridge, and he described in the post that they were "seconds away from drowning".

The hole, he said, was a "literal death trap" and it would have been much worse if a child or older person had fallen in.


Mr Hussain wrote that there was nothing - "no signage, no barriers" - to indicate that the bridge was damaged and because the water was dark and muddy, there was no way to "differentiate the hole from the remaining planks making up the bridge".

Seeing the danger the hole posed, Mr Hussain and his family stayed back a few minutes to warn others. Together with passers-by who had helped them earlier, they tried to patch the hole with some planks they had found, he said.

As he wanted to inform NParks about the incident, Mr Hussain and his family made their way to the ...

Read Entire Article