Customer Finds Maggots In Soy Sauce Bottle At Sabah Sushi Restaurant, Says They Failed To Apologise
Needless to say, food hygiene is important for any F&B establishment, as no customer wants to find a pest in their food.
While dining at a sushi restaurant in Malaysia, a man was unfortunate enough to notice maggots in a soy sauce container — one he’d already used on his food.
He ended up suffering from stomachache and diarrhoea that very night.
Man visited Sabah sushi restaurant on 20 May
Sabah resident Azrul Razah related his ordeal in a lengthy Facebook post on Wednesday (24 May), starting when he visited a Sushi restaurant on 20 May.
According to videos he shared with his post, the establishment was Sushi Zanmai in Suria Sabah Shopping Mall, Kota Kinabalu.
He was initially excited to eat sushi, which he loves, said the customer.
Maggots seen in soy sauce container
However, his enjoyment was marred was he saw something moving in the corner of his eye.
It was a maggot writhing inside the container of soy sauce on the table.
Videos he shared showed at least two creepy-crawlies wrigging around, clearly alive, in the bottle.
Worse still, he said he had eaten the soy sauce from that bottle.
Soy sauce on other tables not checked for maggots: Customer
When Mr Azrul told the waiter about it, he called for his supervisor, the customer said.
After the supervisor came, he allegedly didn’t say anything but just took the offending container away to be thrown away.
Unplacated, Mr Azrul asked the supervisor to check the soy sauce bottles on other tables, but was told that they were “okay”.
He waited a while to see if they would check the other tables, but they didn’t.
No apology was also offered, claimed the customer.
Manager apparently wasn’t around
Mr Azrul eventually went to the front counter to pay his bill and also asked to speak with the manager.
However, he was told that their manager wasn’t around.
Finally, Mr Azrul, who works in the medical field, flashed his health workers’ card and threatened to complain to the Sabah Health Department and the Kota Kinabalu Municipal Council.
He eventually left after failing to mee...