Fernando Alonso says he is ‘attractive’ to other F1 teams after Lewis Hamilton’s Ferrari switch

1 week ago 72

Updated

Feb 13, 2024, 05:35 PM

Published

Feb 13, 2024, 05:35 PM

LONDON – Fernando Alonso said he is “attractive” to other Formula One teams but denied any contact with Mercedes after Lewis Hamilton announced he was quitting to drive for Ferrari in 2025.

Hamilton’s departure at the end of this season will create a vacancy alongside George Russell, while Max Verstappen’s Red Bull team are also due to have a seat available, with Sergio Perez’s contract expiring at the end of this term.

Alonso’s two-season deal with Aston Martin is up for renewal in 2025, but the 42-year-old Spaniard believes he is capable of competing in F1 until he is 50.

Speaking ahead of Feb 12’s launch of the team’s AMR24 car, Alonso, who won back-to-back world championships with Renault in 2004 and 2005, said: “I am aware of my situation, which is very unique. There are only three world champions on the grid and I am the only one available for 2025, so I am in a good position.

“On a move to Mercedes, there has been nothing at all. I know the driver market has started earlier this year, but this will not affect me in terms of preparing for the season.

“If I want to keep racing beyond this year, the first and only talk at the beginning will be Aston Martin. I trust this project and that will be my first priority.

“But if we cannot reach an agreement, I know that I am attractive to other teams. I will not stay in Formula One just to have fun. I am not that kind of person and not that kind of driver. Let’s see what the options are.”

Commenting on Hamilton’s move to Ferrari, Alonso, who drove for the Italian team between 2010 and 2014, added: “It was a surprise, I will not lie, not because of the change itself but from the outside it seemed like he was very linked to Mercedes and very loyal to Mercedes.

Read Entire Article